(urth) Questions . . .

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 10:45:56 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

> The bit about a hero fleshed from dreams foreshadows
> the concept of "aquastors" and in particular the fact that the
> Severian who
> becomes the New Sun is himself an aquastor, fleshed from his own will
> (dream)

This may relate to 1 Corinthians 15:44, where Paul describes the
resurrection body as "soma pneumatikon", as opposed to the "soma
psuchikon" that we are born with.  English translations of this verse
are difficult, because it opposes two concepts that we think of
synonymous, or nearly so.

Pneuma is usually translated: "spirit", or "breath".  Psuche is
"soul" or "life", also sometimes "breath".  Most translations of 1Cor
15:44 have the resurrection body being a "spiritual body".  Many
translations then render "soma psuchikon" as "physical body", because
the opposite of a spiritual body must be a physical one, never mind
what the text actually says.  The translation I hate the least
(linked below) has "natural body" for "soma psuchikon", which is
somewhat less of a distortion, but still obviously a gloss on the
text.  A fair translation of this passage would admit that we really
don't know what Paul meant by opposing psuchikon to pneumatikon,
perhaps by just adjectivizing the word "soul".

"It is sown a soulish body; it is raised a spiritual body."

N. T. Wright, from whom I got all this (not being a Greek scholar),
suggests translating the terms as "soul-driven" versus "spirit-
driven".  This leads me back to wondering whether Wolfe, whatever his
ideas about the soma psuchikon,  intended the aquastor to be a soma
pneumatikon.  Dan'l's bit about "fleshed from his own will" made me
think of it.

After I wrote all this, I went a-Googling for aquastor references,
and I found this in an alchemical lexicon:

http://www.rexresearch.com/rulandus/rulxa.htm
AQUASTOR --- is a simulaerum, which stands for a thing, but is not
the thing itself.

I also found an alternate spelling of "aquaster".  I don't see
anything in the list archives making this connection, but it sure
seems like the kind of thing Robert Borski would have uncovered before.

This origin could be seen as undermining my identification of the
aquastor as a soma pneumatikon.

-----
http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=1+cor+15%3A42-46