(urth) Wolfe Wins World Fantasy Award

Joe Bushong-Taylor joebt01 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 14:47:08 PST 2007

Gene Wolfe has won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel of 2006 for *Soldier
of Sidon*.  The presentation of the award came at the World Fantasy
Convention awards banquet today in Sarasota Springs, NY.

I find it gratifying that the fantasy community has recognized the
importance of this work and, indeed, of Gene's contributions as a whole.  If
you have put off reading the Soldier books, get to them.  The unfolding
story of Latro offers insight into how we deal with loss, and the nature of
personal identity.

In accepting the award, Gene noted that his decision to write the novel was
due, in part, to the requests of many readers that he continue the story of
Latro.  He also hinted that he may heed calls he has received already
to continue the story even further.