(urth) Chemically cast pyramid blocks?

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:13:49 PDT 2007

Here's a quote from James Jordan's interview with Wolfe a while back:

http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2tmhh/wolfejbj.html

Jordan:  [T]here was a book a few years age by a chemist who argued
that the Pyramids in Egypt were not made of stones dragged up but
they were bricks cast in place with a chemical regent to fill it and
they were a box with shelves pour in a regent and make the brick
right there in place.

Wolfe: ...It is certainly a very interesting idea. There are stones
in South America so closely fitted that you wonder if somebody hasn't
been doing something like that. Now maybe they just very laboriously
carved these stones so that they fit right into each other, but you
would think they would just carve them flat like Joe blocks so they
would do that but they don't. They wave round and so forth but they
fit. They key into each other nicely.

When I read this bit, I immediately went a-Googling for information,
but couldn't find any at the time.  Today I saw that someone has
continued that work:

http://www.materials.drexel.edu/Pyramids/

 From the white paper:

"In the mid-1980s, Davidovits proposed that the pyramids were cast in
situ using granular
limestone aggregate and an alkali aluminosilicate-based binder that
he named a geopolymer. Hard
evidence for this idea, however, remained elusive until our very
recent paper in which we present
compelling microstructural evidence that supports his idea in part.
Based on our work, it now appears
that the glue that held the limestone aggregate together is not an
alkali aluminosilicate-based binder,
but more simply, an amorphous silica binder. Also, in disagreement
with Davidovits, we do not believe
that the entirety of the pyramids are cast; only select critical
parts such as the outer and inner casings,
and most probably the upper echelons."

The original research was:

J. Davidovits, "X-rays analysis and XRD of Casing Stones from the
Pyramids of Egypt, and the Limestone of Associated Quarries",
David, R.A. (ed.), Science in Egyptology Symposia, Manchester U
Press, Manchester, UK 511-520, (1986).