(urth) 5HOC - no. 5, Marsch, Eastwind and Sandwalker

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Thu May 17 04:37:01 PDT 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007 13:07, James Wynn wrote:
> Adam said:
> >I had believed that the Apr. 23 entry, as well as the note preceding it,
> >were written by V.R.T.
>
> I have always presumed the April 23 entry was written by Marsch. That was
> why I presumed VRT had murdered Marsch for some reason relating to this
> event. Otherwise, it just seemed too coincidental.
>
> >the cat's bite affects his handwriting, though it doesn't look like
> > V.R.T.'s handwriting. Sometime after that, Marsch is either killed by
> > V.R.T.
>
> or dies in an
>
> >accident.
>
> Once again, the idea that Marsch died by accident seemed way to
> coincidental, however (something about the way Adam put this timeline
> together)
> it does seem reasonable that the cat's bite killed Marsch and so VRT
> took up his identity to hide the nature of Marsch's death.

To my mind, it only seems too coincidental if you assume that VRT intended to
assume Marsch's identity from the beginning.  If, however, you assume that
Marsch died and VRT seized the opportunity, then it doesn't seem like a huge
coincidence.  It's been awhile since I read the story, so I don't know how
well this interpretation jibes with the text.  It's something I'll keep in
mind the next time I read it.