(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Tue May 29 04:26:29 PDT 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 14:28, Matthew King wrote:
> "The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe", by John Farrell, is finally
> available in the online archives of First Things magazine.
>
> Farrell makes the common mistake of identifying Jesus with the
> Conciliator, and he smears Gaiman and Stephenson by mentioning them
> in the same clause as Robert Jordan, but this is an otherwise worthy
> article.
>
> --
> http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=5466

Worthy?  Really?  While the only factual error I can point to is the one you
pointed out - the conflation of the Concilliator with Christ - I can't
imagine a much more misleading summary of TBOTNS.  His descriptions of other
works seem to completely miss the mark as well.  For a quick example, he
says "Peace" is "...[Wolfe's] only mainstream novel (also one of his personal
favorites), about a wealthy old man who builds museum-style rooms in his
mansion to match the rooms from houses of his past life."  Again, factually
accurate but that hardly describes the novel I read.  YMMV, of course.