(urth) Severian Of The Guild (Abandoned): The Book Of The New Sun

Jesper Svedberg jsvedberg at gmail.com
Sun May 13 03:44:38 PDT 2007

JBarach at aol.com skrev:
> In a message dated 5/12/2007 11:05:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com writes:
>
>     Amazon says it comes out October 18 in the UK and that it runs to
>     1008 pages. It's a paperback apparently.
>
> What in the world is the point of a paperback that large?  The spine
> will break or at least be badly stretched by the time you're halfway
> through.  What we need is a one or two volume hardback with sewn sheets,
> something that will last for a long, long time.

There will be a hardcover too. UK publisher often publish hardcovers and
trade paperbacks at the same time, where the paperbacks seem to be aimed
for the international markets.

Lets just hope that the "Abandonded" modifier means that they have
decided to change the name. Calling this book "Severian of the Guild" is
like collecting "The Lord of the Rings" in one volume and calling it
"Frodo of the Shire".

(I wonder if this means that "The Wizard Knight" have sold well in the
UK. I don't think I've seen more than one UK review of tWK and no real
buzz, so I got the impression that it more or less sunk like a stone.)

   // Jesper