(urth) Able and allowed

Bob Miller bob_bageera at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:23:50 PDT 2007

There is and has been a lot of legitimate, quite justified, criticism of
Able and thus, to a lesser degree, of TWK.  Up front, I think it is the best
book published so far in this new century, one of the best coming oif age
books since Rudyard Kipling blessed the world with Kim.

To me, Able was telling the tale ex post facto and not hiding any of his
errors or sins.  To me, the ascension to Skai was a reward for one area of
growth/progress.  To me, the return was for completion ( or as my wife tells
me, closure).  To me, the justification, beyond the take away the breath
scenes, beyond the personal growth he led or inspired or acted as a catalyst
for Puck and Uns and Svon was the scene where in Disiri came for him before
the final dustup.  Herself begged Able to come back with her to Aelfrice and
he said no.  And in this one moment in the dark and wind and the dirt Able
was justified.  He returned to the people to whom he had assumed, even if it
were for Disiri's sake, duty and obligation.  And he met those obligations.
And in denying/turning down the ascent, for a second time, to Skai Able
became more.  To a collector of trophies or a scorekeeper, Able became less
because he "descended".  Because he accepted his cup, "do what you can or
else do what you must", Michael from beyond Skai has come for him and his
lover that his love has made able to ascend.  So, to me this book was about
growth and the greater rewards gained than would have been from the "simple"
completion of the task.

As an aside, or because I couldn't figure out where to put it in my
meanderings above, throughout TWK I was reminded again and again of the
scene in Zelazny's Lord of Light where Sam told Taraka that he fought him
because he was a man, and being a man sometimes did aspire to more than the
belly and the phallus.