(urth) A Question

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:47:26 PDT 2007

For introductory Wolfe shorts (both "good" and "accessible"),
I would suggest, in roughly this order:

"With the Lafayette Escadrille"
"War Beneath the Tree"
"Detective of Dreams"
"La Befana"
the one about Peter Pan on the island, can't recall title
"Westwind"
"The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories"

These are all pretty accessible, but become slightly more
difficult and/or allusive as you go along. I would absolutely
give "tIoDDaOS" to someone before any of the other island
doctor stories, though I agree that "The Death of Doctor
Island" is a bit more immediately accessible, because I
have always felt that there is a real sequence to them, though
I can't explain just what it is.