(urth) Film Version of New Sun?

Patrick Pottorff happyguy99993 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 11:54:06 PDT 2007

From: Christopher Hettinger <telpeurion at hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) Film Version of New Sun?
To: <urth at urth.net>

Hello everyone,

I have been reading through the Urth lists on occasion for some list
for quite some time now. However, I did not notice until tonight that it
was not all dead. That in mind, I decided to write posing a query for
you all.

With the success of The Lord of the Rings, many fantasy and science
fiction literary works are seeing new life on the big screen.
Gene Wolfe, although a critically acclaimed author by all means, is
completely unknown by anyone outside the box. I myself would not know GW
if I had not accidently found a complete hardcover edition of the Book
of the New Sun (The one with a close up on Severian in a twilight local
with frizzy hair and a six-pack of abs featured on the cover) in my
brother's box of old books. I have read the New Sun series three times
now, and I constantly feel like it could easily, if done right, be the
next big thing. There are just so many scenes beautifully articulated in
the book that could be displayed with greater ease in visual format. The
Duel on the Sanguinary Fields, Vodalus' feast, Severian's adventure in
the House Absolute, the confrontation with the alzabo, the fight at
baldander's castle, and the whole battle in the north screams the word
"epic". Perhaps a movie format would not do the series justice, but I can
think of a Television mini-series easily accomplishing that. In th
 at way,
 you could still have all the hidden items littered throughout,
maintain the first-person narrative, and because of the former, have watchable
through repeated viewings.

Bad idea? Probably I know, but hey, it would at least Mr. Wolfe some
more success that is due to him.

Well, as much as I'd love to see it on the silver screen, I just don't see how
any director could possibly show Erebus or Abaia. I still don't understand the scene
in the Claw of the Conciliator where the giant water-thing pops out of the water...
how would the general populous feel about it? It would be sacrilege to leave
any of it out.
     Patrick