(urth) Film Version of New Sun?

Bob Miller bob_bageera at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 06:20:49 PDT 2007

From: Christopher Hettinger <telpeurion at hotmail.com>
To: <urth at urth.net>
Subject: (urth) Film Version of New Sun?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 00:07:17 -0700

Hello everyone,

I have been reading through the Urth lists on occasion for some list for
quite some time now. However, I did not notice until tonight that it was not
all dead. That in mind, I decided to write posing a query for you all.

With the success of The Lord of the Rings, many fantasy and science fiction
literary works are seeing new life on the big screen.
Gene Wolfe, although a critically acclaimed author by all means, is
completely unknown by anyone outside the box. I myself would not know GW if
I had not accidently found a complete hardcover edition of the Book of the
New Sun (The one with a close up on Severian in a twilight local with frizzy
hair and a six-pack of abs featured on the cover) in my brother's box of old
books. I have read the New Sun series three times now, and I constantly feel
like it could easily, if done right, be the next big thing. There are just
so many scenes beautifully articulated in the book that could be displayed
with greater ease in visual format. The Duel on the Sanguinary Fields,
Vodalus' feast, Severian's adventure in the House Absolute, the
confrontation with the alzabo, the fight at baldander's castle, and the
whole battle in the north screams the word "epic". Perhaps a movie format
would not do the series justice, but I can think of a Television mini-series
easily accomplishing that. In that way, you could still have all the hidden
items littered throughout, maintain the first-person narrative, and because
of the former, have watchable through repeated viewings.

Bad idea? Probably I know, but hey, it would at least Mr. Wolfe some more
success that is due to him.
My wife and I have had a similar idea for twenty plus years.  The difficulty
is in the execution.