(urth) What the elm?

JWillard aldenweer at charter.net
Wed Jun 6 23:50:32 PDT 2007

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:

>On 6/6/07, Matthew King <automatthew at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>The discovery of an allusion, in other words, should not spawn new
>>problems in interpretation.
>>

>I like that phrasing best.

I think the mistake is to assume an allusion is just some sort of homage
or a wink and a nod:  I don't know if it's that simple.  I'm starting to
think more and more that Virgil and Dante are extremely important to
Wolfe (Averns, anyone?).  Given their contributions to the Roman
Catholic faith, this would not be surprising.  I'm curious if there are
any connections to Augustine, as well.  (And someone might have pointed
all of this out, but I have less and less time to read and confer with
of focus are striking to a Wolfean:  Charon is there, of course, and
Nessus carries Dante across one of the rivers.  I think it's quite
possible that the Book of the New Sun is Wolfe playing with the Divine
Comedy.

Another influence, that I've never really seen anyone address, is
Nabokov.  Wolfe admits the influence, and Nabokov is a tricky, tricky
man, and I believe Wolfe learned much from him.  Here is a passage from
the introduction to the Annotated Lolita (Which Wolfe might well have
read) called, fittingly, Nabokov's Puppet Show, and which, when I read
it, blared "Wolfe!" to me.  (In your mind, substitute Wolfe for Nabokov,
and see what you think.)

"Nabokov's remarks on Gogol help to underscore this analogical
definition of involution: "All reality is a mask," he writes (p.148),
and Nabokov's narratives are masques, stagings of his own inventions
rather than recreations of the naturalistic world.  But, since the
latter is what most readers expect and demand of fiction, many still do
not understand what Nabokov is doing.  They are not accustomed to "the
allusions to something else behind the crudely painted screens"(p.142),
where the "real plots behind the obvious ones are taking place."  There
are thus at least two "plots" in all of Nabokov's fiction:  the
characters in the book, and the consciousness of the creator above it -
the "real plot" which is visible in the "gaps" and "holes" in the
narrative....Although other writers have created involuted works,
Nabokov's self-consciousness is supreme;  and the range and scale of his
effects, his mastery and control, make him unique."

There's much more.

I know that in my own experience, the second reading of any Wolfe work
is almost radically different from the first.  As if I were reading a
*different* book.  Nabokov is the only other author I've had this
reaction to.

In The White Goddess, Graves mentions the connection between the elm and
the vine of Dionysus - which, as Borski's pointed out, is what Dennis is
short for.