(urth) another Peace of elms

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 23:24:14 PDT 2007

I do have work to do, but apparently in the Iliad...

Andromaca, the fine wife of Hector (Iliad, VI, 418)...says the following
about her Pelasgian father, Etion of holy Thebes, who had been killed by
Achilles.

Achilles, says she, had not taken from my father his weapons, but had
burnt them together with his body, and over his ashes had erected a mound,
while the mountain nymphs had planted elm trees around his grave [2].

[2. The custom of planting elm trees near funeral mounds had once also
existed in the parts of Dacia. So, in a Romanian ballad, the hero Toma
Alimos, feeling that his death is near, tells his horse to take him to the
grave with five elms trees ].

http://www.pelasgians.bigpondhosting.com/website1/03_01.htm

David Duffy.