(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Mon Jun 4 16:00:34 PDT 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 14:03, Michael Straight wrote:
> Sheesh.  Do we really have to pretend that liking Wolfe proves that
> we're super-smart and that people who don't are just lazy, not willing
> to do the "hard work" that we're willing to do?

Interesting take on what's been said.  I'm not sure why you interpret it that
way, as I don't recall anyone saying that those who don't find Wolfe
appealing were lazy or unwilling to work.  Perhaps it was hidden in the text,
a careful blend of hints and clues that requires multiple readings to ferret
out the hidden slur.  I would have thought that reading Wolfe might have
sensitized me to such subtleties, but apparently I wasn't sufficiently
perceptive to notice this subtext.

> Reading Wolfe requires a different kind of attention than reading some
> other books, but I wouldn't call it work.  I enjoy that kind of
> reading.  If I didn't, I wouldn't do it.  It doesn't make me morally
> superior to someone who doesn't enjoy that kind of reading.

Of course it's work.  Thinking requires effort and expends energy.  That's the
very definition of work.

Despite our society's Puritanical heritage that might argue otherwise, work
and enjoyment are not mutually exclusive.  Far from it.  A significant part
of what I enjoy is work of some kind or another.  Whether it's crafting wood
projects in my workshop or writing extensions for Firefox or rebuilding
my '78 shovelhead or creating a new recipe, most of the activities which
engage my time are work.  I find them quite enjoyable.

Essentially everyone here could make the same claim.  The particular types of
work they might mention as examples would undoubtedly be quite different from
my list.  That doesn't at all make me superior to them, nor them to me.  It
simply makes us different.  Wonderful world, isn't it, that can encompass so
much variety with scarcely any effort at all?

> I don't enjoy skateboarding or skeet shooting, but it's not because
> I'm too lazy to do the "work" (practice) it would take for me to do
> those things well.  I'm just not interested

Fortunately, I"m not aware of any attempt to enforce either practice upon you.
Absent such concerns as paying bills and putting food on the table and
whatever other personal concerns drive your behavior, you're free to engage
in whatever pursuits you find enjoyable.  One of them appears to be reading
Wolfe.  That doesn't make you special in any significant sense, but it does
put you in a rather small minority.  Book sales provide conclusive proof of
that.