(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

JWillard aldenweer at charter.net
Fri Jun 1 09:25:00 PDT 2007

Recursive Loop wrote:

>Now, **this** is funny:
>
>"I recently asked a veteran New York editor whether Wolfe could find a publisher today if he were
>just coming along as a young writer. “Probably not,” she admitted. His writing is too religious,
>too difficult, and too strange."
>
>Heaven forbid that we request readers to actually **think**, now!
>
>Why didn't she just say "He's conservative, I'm a hip left-leaning NY publisher and I can't see
>past the end of my viewpoint!"

Yes, it must be an evil liberal at fault. Seems to me more likely that
both ends of the political spectrum would reject it for the reasons
given: it's difficult material. It's the nature of our world to dumb
things down right now. And everyone wants an easy sale. (And easy
answers: just blame it on those you don't agree with.)