(urth) New Wolfe Story at Subterranean Press

Solomon, Joshua J.A.Solomon at city.ac.uk
Wed Jun 27 02:46:43 PDT 2007

> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:35:36 -0400
> From: "Joel Sieh" <joel.sieh at gmail.com>
>
> Roberta, Robber, Rover, and the Robinsons all have "Ro" names.  Julianne is
> the only exception.  I wonder if there's anything to that?

Yeah. I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think about Shakespeare's Romeo. And
Julianne is like Juliet.

> Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:01:08 -0700
> From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com>
>
> I am reminded a bit of Isaac Asimov's story, "Segregationist," a story
> about a surgeon who is opposed to the practice of putting machine
> parts into human bodies. The "shock ending" reveals that the surgeon
> is, himself, a robot (a fact important in the context of Asimov's robot
> stories, in which robots very much reflected the position of Blacks
> in mid-20th-century America).

Me too. Again, I think we are supposed to draw a parallel between racial
segregation and robot/human segregation. Note the exchange
"What do you get if you mix black and white?"
"Grey if you mean paint. Brown if you mean people."

bee
--
Joshua A. Solomon
http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/~solomon