(urth) A Question of where to begin

Bob Miller bob_bageera at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 22 04:05:08 PDT 2007

My experience with trying to get people to read BoTNS has been negative.  I
think it is because of the relatively slow start.  While some of it is only
suggested, there's a lot of "action" around Latro's introduction==violence,
sex, con games, multiracial friendships.==not to mention not having three or
four add'l books to be threatened with.  I would like to be wrong.  I love
Latro, but there is definitely more total in Severian's stories

Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 23:22:56 -0500

Book of the New Sun is a perfect place to start.  The trick to getting
someone to stick with the books is to be honest.  It is a challenging read,
more so than anything I've ever read before.  It is also dark and
beautiful.  The beginning is slow, but it is on purpose. Trust this author.
You will be rewarded for your loyalty.  (at least this has always worked for
me)

Of course, the Soldier series is everything described below, and might be
easier to chew.  On the other hand, if someone does not like BotNS...?
Perhaps it's a trial by fire sort of a deal.  GW isn't an author for people
who like to be spoon fed their stories.

~Megan

I am probably in the minority on this, but I think the Soldier series is a
fantastic place to start.  It's language is as clear-cut as The Knight's is,
but it's set in a world most people are at east passing familiar
with.  Maybe if you include a little cheat sheet that translates the places
and gods from Latro-speak into English, they could at least surf through the
story and wallow in Wolfe's brilliant realization of ancient Greece.
They're bound to realize there's more down below...

Live Hotmail.