(urth) Wiki?

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Thu Jun 21 04:20:56 PDT 2007

At 21:40 20/06/2007, Matthew King wrote:
>Let's pretend for the sake of discussion that we already
>have  MediaWiki installed, and now we're deciding how to configure it.

Unfortunately I'm not able to install MediaWiki on my hosting,
because of the specific MySQL requirements it makes: so if that's a
sine qua non, I'll have to withdraw my offer.

My suggestion would be to use PmWiki, which has pretty similar
functionality in the important areas:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/MediaWiki+PmWiki
and I think should be fine for a small (numbers of people) project like this

>1)  Should the wiki be editable by anyone?  Should we reserve
>editing  to list members only?

It's not going to be practical, AFAIK, to have membership of the wiki
automatically (and securely) respond to changes in the list
membership. List users are going to have to join the wiki separately.
In which case I would say we should reserve editing to wiki members only.

>A halfway option would be to restrict a set of core pages to
>list  members only to prevent vandalism, but to allow the unwashed
>masses  to create and edit pages at the periphery.  This would
>provide for  reading journals or the like.

I would personally tend to allow anyone who goes to the effort of
joining the wiki to edit it, just as anyone who goes to the effort of
joining this list can post to it. But I don't feel strongly about
that: it's easy enough to have areas restricted to certain groups,
etc, if that's felt necessary.

>2)  What kind of structure, if any, should the wiki start with?
>
>http://lostpedia.com provides a decent example of a full-fledged
>MediaWiki site.  I like that they reserve wild speculation
>about  episodes or characters to "theories" pages.

I have no strong views about structure.

>3) Who wants to be a moderator?

I'm happy to moderate in the administrative sense, but I would prefer
not to be involved in eg. mattes of quasi-academic dispute ;-)

By the way, if people think this discussion should be taken off list,
do please say,

best,

Mo

Mo Holkar