(urth) The problem of Cthulhu

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Tue Jun 19 16:05:50 PDT 2007

don doggett writes:
>  What
> makes the Great Old Ones so terrifying is that they
> are completely alien, unknowable, invincible, and
> malevolent.

The GOO are simply a modern analog of the Greek Titans or the Norse Jotuns

Or to put it another way, these pre-human forces of Chaos would in their day
have been thought of much as we today think of the Great Old Ones - horrors
with nothing quaint or anachronistic in their makeup.

(((
I'm an Odinist, and I continually have to remind myself and my
co-religionists that archaism is not correct.

Vikings, for example, (to pick a set of folk frequently and wrongly thought
of as typifying Odinism), should be thought of as pirates using the highest
tech weapons and transport; not quaint guys in helmets.   Because that is
what they were.

Think helecopter gunships and privately owned tanks not wooden ships.
)))

Wolfe repeatedly follows his masters Lewis and Tolkien in Christianising
pagan myth in multiple levels of narrative analogy.

His fantasies and science fictions have characters who can represent Odin or
Achilles in one layer, and Christ in a higher layer (Silk > Odin > is an
obvious example)

Erebus etc thus represent the classical Titans / Jotuns / GOO within the
frame of the urth books.   They are a theme, not simply from Lovecraft, but
also from pagan religion/myth/cosmology

Maybe a Christian would tell me what the "Christian layer" analog is.  The
Devil, I suppose: but that doesn't seem quite right.

http://www.thenightland.co.uk

01273-488272 / 0777-214-9545