(urth) More Castleview (Spoilers)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:28:49 PDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 4. What are we to make of Excalibur's resemblance to a cross (Mercedes at
> first thinks it's a jeweled cross)?

The guard of a sword is often shaped like that, and knights (at least in
legends) would often stab the sword into the ground to get a cross to
pray by.

> 5. Also about the ending: Wolfe really seems to like the legend of the Green
> Man or Green Knight; in The Wizard Knight Able tells us that he WAS the
> Green Knight who Gawain decapitated. Maybe Wolfe is trying to take an
> essentially pagan symbol and Christianize it, as it is his wont to do? The
> Green Man could perhaps be read as a Christ figure, though so presumably
> could the king who slays him, as he too will die and rise again. A little
> earlier in the text, Phyllis Sun sees Odin leading the Wild Hunt down the
> streets of Castleview; the narrator takes pains to describe his missing eye,
> which, if I recall correctly, he gave up so that he could give knowledge to
> humanity; a Christian take on Odin seems like something Wolfe would enjoy.

I don't know much about the Green Man, but Odin gives his eye to Mimir
in payment for wisdom, not so he can give his wisdom away. He is looking
for a way to avert Ragnarok.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----