(urth) More Castleview (Spoilers)

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:46:58 PDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.There seems to be a lot of discussion about whether Wrangler / Arthur
> Dunstan or Will Shields is the "real" Arthur; this got me thinking about
> just how many characters in Castleview seem to represent either part of an
> Arthurian figure or several Arthurian figures.

You may have seen this in the archives, but one of the ideas in the
book (I believe this is straight from Wolfe), is that the gene pool in
Arthur's time was so small and there's been enough generations of
mixing so that today, almost anyone with European ancestors is a
descendant of Arthur. So while the faerie folk seem be looking for the
"true" descendant of Arthur (it's not clear whether they realize this
or not), in fact, everyone human in the story is equally a true
descendant of Arthur.  And so several of the characters end up acting
out various pieces of that role.

Rostrum