(urth) A Question

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 22:00:47 PDT 2007

I read "New Sun" first. I came away from it convinced that Wolfe was a phenominal creator of worlds but only a so-so writer. I thought that because:

1. Wolfe failed to make clear and/or resolve key plot elements by the end of the book.

2. Wolfe would go into great detail describing something Severian's childhood relationship with a dog or enjoying quiet-time in a mausoleum and then relate the death of the alzabo in a single sentence.

Now, of course, I realize these complaints are like criticizing Rock&Roll music because "it could lead to dancing". The next Wolfe story I read was "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" and suddenly I "got it". At that point I began telling people that Wolfe was THE finest science fiction writer period.

So I don't know where to start with Wolfe. Probably, a recommendation from a someone you trust is the best introduction to Wolfe.