(urth) Tracking Song and The Call of the Wild

don doggett kingwukong at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 10:25:32 PDT 2007

--- Andy Robertson <andywrobertson at clara.co.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone ever suspect that GW might not know what
> he is writing or (to be
> more precise) exactly how each bit of each story
> fits in to the overall
> pattern he is trying to weave?
>
> That writing might sometimes be a purely instinctive
> thing, grasping at
> vague mad visions??
>
> That GW might sometimes be as surprised by what
> happens and as ignorant of
> the "real" meaning of it as you or I?

God, I hope so. We can always use another insane
genius in literature. But I think it's more the case
that rather than creating this ridiculously
complicated architecture in his fiction, he has an
understanding of a sort of universal vagueness that
allows things to create their own complexity. I think
he takes his cue from the bible and other great
religious texts and myths that have endured precisely
(ha!) because no one interpretation can be
definitively pinned on them. That's not to say he
doesn't have something in mind, but it does seem that
he is willing to subvert even his own opinion of what
the story should mean.

Don

The Evangelists: a Lesser Apocrypha                                                                        http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=178109961