(urth) Tracking Song and The Call of the Wild

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Fri Jun 15 04:19:11 PDT 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007 03:36, Andy Robertson wrote:
> Does anyone ever suspect that GW might not know what he is writing or (to
> be more precise) exactly how each bit of each story fits in to the overall
> pattern he is trying to weave?
>
> That writing might sometimes be a purely instinctive thing, grasping at
> vague mad visions??
>
> That GW might sometimes be as surprised by what happens and as ignorant of
> the "real" meaning of it as you or I?

I think there's probably a bit of truth to that in that we (his readers)
sometimes over-interpret his works.  I don't think it's humanly possible to
put the thought and emphasis on every word when writing that we tend to give
when reading.  So I think we sometimes "find" implications and
interpretations and links and allusions that Wolfe never intended.

But I don't think that by any means accounts for all or even most of the
complex pattern Wolfe weaves.  Although we sometimes see shapes in the
shadows, Wolfe isn't merely a verbal Rorschach test.  He's more akin to an
optical illusion.  Both the vase and the kissing couple are there - because
Wolfe put them there.  So's the werewolfe howling in the background.  But
that smell of oranges?  That's probably just your imagination.

Probably.