(urth) Vance and Tokien as influences on D&D

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Sat Jun 9 13:07:42 PDT 2007

stilskin wrote:
> --- Tim Walters <walters at doubtfulpalace.com> wrote:
>

>> And Fletcher Pratt, who I think is less well known
>> than he should be (G. G. Kay and G.R.R. Martin owe him plenty).
>>

> Let's not forget Michael Moorcock and Poul Anderson!

If we're going that far, we might as well include L. Sprague deCamp as
well. The "Incomplete Enchanter" stories he wrote with Pratt were one of
the highlights of the "Unknown" era. I for one always liked deCamp
better than Pratt.

In any case, the magic system in D&D (and the one in the Zork computer
games) was directly stolen from the Dying Earth stories, as was the
grue. As the thief in the latter case, I can be sure of that.

Dave Lebling, aka vizcacha