(urth) Tracking Song and The Call of the Wild

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 08:31:48 PDT 2007

Roy wrote:
>I don't buy the Cutthroat-as-dog theory.

No, Cutthroat isn't simply a dog; but Cutthroat is to a dog as the Wiggikki
are to wolves.  You can even speculate on his breed....

>Those material objects must have come from the people on the Great Sleigh.

Yes, Cutthroat has knowledge and devices from the Great Sleigh. He is a
*Sleigh dog*. (Which may be the source of his "birthmark.")  Whatever may be
its biblical significance, "Tracking Song" is above all an homage to Jack
London's _The Call of the Wild_.  Does that illuminate Cutthroat's crime?

>I don't think that the winged man was simply another variety of beastman. I
think it was an angel of some sort, whether come to bar him from the Sleigh
or to carry him off to wherever.
Right, a *cherub*. Not one of the winged, apple-cheeked babies of the
Rennaissance, but one of the mighty winged beast-men of Canaanite myth.

Matt G.