(urth) Good advice from Alan Moore

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Thu Jun 7 15:16:11 PDT 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 07:38, Joe Smulkstis wrote:
> Daniel quoted Alan Moore re "Watchmen":
>
> "After several months of this, Moore said, in another interview,
> that, while everything in the comic meant something, not
> everything meant *much*."
>
> I love this discussion group but I think there are times when everyone
> should
> take those words to heart.

I've made the same point a couple of times in the past.  A big part of
interpreting Wolfe is knowing when to stop.

> Daniel, I noticed the (slightly wrong) quote from Zappa's "Evelyn, a
> Modified Dog".
> I'm a little surprised that a Catholic (which I was raised as, I'm now
> agnostic)
> would be a Zappa fan, but as a feminist and a Zappa fan I guess I shouldn't
> be.

I'm neither feminist nor misogynist (I respond to and judge people based on
their actions, not their sex, and vehemently uphold equal treatment under the
law, but I think radical feminist cross the border into misandry, or perhaps
simply misanthropy.)  I'm also a huge Zappa fan.

> I'm curious as to whether Wolfe's audience is more religious in general
> than your average SF reader.

But certainly not religious.  I put the probability of the existence of God as
slightly behind the Easter bunny but slightly ahead of Santa Claus.  (There's
just something about visiting all those houses in ONE night that really
raises my skeptical hackles.  I have _serious_ doubts about Ol' Saint Nick.)