(urth) Peace - Elm trees and empty dreams

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 23:12:29 PDT 2007

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007, Matthew King wrote:

> Caveat lector:  spoilers for Peace below.
>
> The elm tree that falls in the first line of Peace is planted on the
> grave of Alden Dennis Weer, the book's narrator.  As the Sergeant
> says in The Pirates of Penzance, "This is perplexing."
>
> Leaving aside the mystery of a story told by a ghost, is there any
> significance to the tree being an elm?  I cannot find, in the
> archives of this list, any discussion on this particular topic.

I am positive that someone stated some time ago on the list that elms
were planted on graves to keep the spirit underneath at rest.  However, a
quick google suggests that usually rowans appear in this context.

I did find a review of Thomas Campanella's _Republic of Shade_,
a history of elm plantings in America:  "a central symbol of New
England and American life in the nineteenth and twentieth
centuries...planted on wedding days or on the birth of children", and then
in bulk to "ornament" towns.  So planting them is very characteristic of
the time and place the story is set.  I think _Peace_ is, among other
things, an elegy to that era (and thought a lot about it reading _My
Antonia_).

So they may stand in as an American equivalent of the rowan (those planted
are, I didn't know, a native tree), as osage orange is to _TWK_ and
Faery.

Cheers, David Duffy.