(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

Rob Thornton oblate777 at speakeasy.net
Tue Jun 5 08:42:18 PDT 2007

Funny that Vance and D&D are mentioned in the same post. I have heard that Vance is one of the influences on the wizard spells from the original AD&D and I believe them.

The Prismatic Sphere and the Prismatic Spray are good examples, and I think another 9th level spell is actually taken from him -- can't remember the AD&D name but Vance called it the spell of Forlorn Encystment or something like that.

rob t.