(urth) Soldier of Sidon

Transentient transentient at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 20:58:18 PDT 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Nigel Price wrote:

> On this last point, Wolfe has devised a wonderful strategem to
> surmount the
> problem of how you have a basically good and morally upright hero
> who still
> has lots of love affairs. He forgets, so of course he is not
> culpable even
> though he serially unfaithful to his wife back in Italy!

I find it interesting how Latro seemed quite a bit less piteous in
Sidon due to the fact that he was monogamous (well, polygamous, but
in the actually matrimonial sense and not just sleeping around like a
rake). At least during the part of the book that followed the river,
when things were going comparatively smoothly for him.