(urth) OT: hurRAH: The Grandmaster is 100

Sean Lackey zeppelin at texas.net
Sun Jul 8 22:02:33 PDT 2007

I know some discussion of his work have come up here from time to
time, so I thought it worth noting that, July 7th marks Robert A.
Heinlein's 100th birthday.

My father gave me a copy of SPACE CADET to read when I was in the
third grade.  Then he bought the rest of the juveniles, and I read
most of them before I was a teen myself.  I wrote a book report on
DOUBLE STAR in the sixth grade, and read most of RAH's major and
minor works by the time I was 17.

When his final novel, TO SAIL BEYOND THE SUNSET came out in 1987,
Dad (some know him as Roy) insisted on reading aloud every novel tied
into it (and he did) before reading SUNSET.

It's been near 20 years since those readings, but the works of
Heinlein left an indelible impression on me as a young man, and
opened doors to many other authors, most in arms reach in dad's library.

Thanks RAH, but mostly, thank you Dad.

Sean