(urth) Severian and Merryn

Maclean Jessica Jessica.Maclean at nzpost.co.nz
Wed Jul 4 16:16:01 PDT 2007

Hi all

Having also just re-read the The Claw of the Conciliator, I respectfully
request some clarification on the Severian and Merryn twin-thing. I'm at
work so don't have the book with me, but I just finished it last night
so it's pretty fresh in my mind :-)

Near the end of the book, it clearly states that Severian was a small
boy (small enough to have to jump to reach the knocker) when he went to
the Witches Tower, whereas Merryn looks "old" (to a small boy) and is
really about 20 years of age.

I accept that GW himself has stated that Merryn is probably Severian's
sister (not sure if I have the probably bit right- please advise! :-) ),
I'm just wondering how that works out... is it magic that Merryn appears
the same age regardless of her actual age? Cos when Sev, Dorcas and
Jolenta meet the Cumean, Merryn and Hildegrin atop Apu Punchau's
building, the Cumean and Merryn look exactly the same as they did when
little Sev delivered that letter, so long ago...

On a maybe-not-related note, I can't help but wonder if Mr Wolfe
deliberately left things vague in his own mind, in order to preserve
some mystery for us readers? I always thought that the best way to keep
things secret is not to know yourself, so you can't give it away...

Jessica

Jessica Maclean
Customer Liaison
New Zealand Post
Tel: 0800 100 318 Fax: 0800 100 319
e-mail: jessica.maclean at nzpost.co.nz
customerliaison@ <www.nzpost.co.nz > nzpost.co.nz
Winners of GOLD at the coveted CRM Contact Centre Awards 2006

Smile, life is good!
This email with any attachments is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.
If it is not intended for you please reply immediately, destroy it and do not copy, disclose or use it in any way.