(urth) Why did Vodalus risk...?

Bruce Hayles brucehayles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:01:32 PDT 2007

In the opening chapter of Shadow, Thea says something to Vodalus that
Severian does not catch; Vodalus says in response, "You didn't have to
come, Thea. How would it look to the others if I took none of the
risks?"
This reminds me of generals fighting at the front of their army. By
taking the same risks as his men, he gains their respect.
Vodalus is also very prideful. He does not seriously appreciate the
danger of the watchmen. He disdains his earlier use of the gun, and
when the watchmen are nearly upon them, gives the gun to Hildegrin,
saying that Hildegrin might need it. This is despite the fact that he
most desperately needs it, since he is holding off the watchmen. His
pride drives him needlessly to fight them with his sword. When
Severian saves him, he is repaid with a false coin.
Wives of generals would come along with them on risky campaigns, so
Thea coming along doesn't seem implausible, even if it is unnecessary
for the task.
I think the explanation of Vodalus taking the risk is Vodalus's character.