(urth) And Another:

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:39:54 PDT 2007

I think it's nigh impossible for someone to infer from what Severian said to
Roche that undines were involved unless they knew what actually happened
down there.  The boatman from Citadel remarked how unique it was that he
heard those voices on the river, so the undine phenomenon is probably not
widely known at all.  Furthermore, asked in response to Severian's mention
of a name, Malrubius, which should rule out an undine since average
Commonwealthers seem too afraid of them to do something like learn their
names.
As for the old man, it's not clear what his current job is, but he sure is
poor, and he does own a boat of sorts that would still require tar to keep
afloat.