(urth) Dr. Island on WolfeWiki

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:19:23 PDT 2007

I really don't know too much about Dr. Island, having read it only once, but
I might be able to help out just a bit on "Il Penseroso." The main character
of "The Death of Dr. Island" has a split brain and two personalities, while
"Il Penseroso" is a companion piece to Milton's earlier "L'Allegro." "Il
Penseroso" discusses the enjoyment of melancholy, while the speaker of
"L'Allegro" is more conventionally "happy" (not really the right word I'm
afraid). Essentially, the two poems form a dialectic or polemic (I get the
impression that Milton himself preferred the worldview expressed in "Il
Penseroso"). I'll try and take another look at the poems in the next few
days; I'm writing this from memory, and it's been about a year and a half
since I've taken a close look at either poem. In any case, count me in.

-Matt