(urth) The Morality of the Hierogrammates

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jul 24 22:36:00 PDT 2007

Paul B wrote:
> But the thing is that according to Baldanders everything will get
> submerged, for example mountainous Thrax will too (the two methods of
> escape being ship [maybe] and airship - from UotNS, ch LXII).  If one
> makes the assumption that Earth and Urth are the same, there simply
> doesn't seem to be enough water on Earth to drown the Andes mountains.

Baldanders may be taking the pessmistic, worst-case scenario that the
Fountain's tides will be strong enough to remake the land as well as the
  water. Or, Baldanders may be simply ignorant of the geophysical
exactitudes, being primarily interested in researching more showy lost
sciences.

> If Urth isn't Earth, then I suppose it's not a meaningful question to
> ask anymore.
>
> Does Abaia really have tidal power devices?  I have no idea what that
> guy is capable of.

They are notional, springing from discussions Mantiss and I had years
ago when he was writing a NEW SUN roleplaying game supplement.
Presumably each of the great beasts have renewable resources native to
their abode that figuratively if not literally feed off of the earth,
that would be threatened by the coming of the New Sun. You'd think Abaia
would welcome the flood from the New Sun, but there must be some danger
to his/its interests for him/it to oppose it. Ergo, tidal power. (though
  being hung up to rot on the dry land of a newborn continent must be an
unpleasant end as well._

Likewise, Erebus presumably has geothermal stations around his eponymous
volcano on the Antarctic ice.

( http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/newsun/ for those interested in a
plain-English gazetteer of the New Sun setting. )

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >