(urth) OT: Lafferty recommendations

"Fernando Q. Gouvêa" fqgouvea at colby.edu
Mon Jul 23 07:17:31 PDT 2007

Actually, many of these are not hard to find at all. Wildside Press has
print-on-demand editions of quite a few of Lafferty's books (including
these two). See http://www.wildsidebooks.com/LAFFERTY-R-A_c_31-1.html

They can also be ordered from Amazon.com.

Fernando

Craig Brewer wrote:
> It's a bit hard to find, but the collection _Lafferty
> in Orbit_ (of his stories from Damon Knight's _Orbit_)
> is quite a good source for small doses of very strong
> Lafferty. There are some great little gems in there:
> "The Skinny People of Leptophlebo Street," "One at a
> Time," and "When All the Lands Pour Out Again," not to
> mention about 15 others.
>
> But since that's hard to find, I'd second those who
> said _The Devil is Dead_.

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College                     Editor, FOCUS
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://mathdl.maa.org
http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea

... Mr. Auburn's brainiacs hail from the Hollywood school of genius.
That's where highly photogenic people learn how to make Einsteinian
breakthroughs without the benefit of a fancy degree while watching the
late-show on TV. Call it the "Good Will Hunting" principle of brain
power, in which a hero's brilliance can be measured in direct proportion
to his or her kissability and sulky disregard for higher education.
   -- Amy Gamerman on David Auburn's play "Proof"
      (The Wall Street Journal, May 21, 2000)