(urth) OT: Lafferty recommendations

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 12:13:33 PDT 2007

On  0, Matthew Groves <matthewalangroves at gmail.com> scribbled:
> Wolfe seems to be a big admirer of R. A. Lafferty.  ("Has Anyone Seen
> Junie Moon" from _Starwater Strains_ has a character named Roy T.
> Laffer.)  Are there any readers of Lafferty here who can recommend a
> good place for a Wolfe fan to start?

Start with ''Fourth Mansions'' for a good almost-mainstream immersion in Lafferty-style paranoia and story telling, and follow it up with ''The Devil is Dead'' and ''The Annals of Klepsis'' (in that order; Klepsis is even more paranoid and hallucinatory than the previous two put together, so I wouldn't start with it).

--
gwern
mania 701 CTP CATO Phon-e Chicago Posse NSDM