(urth) And Another:

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:23:16 PDT 2007

That is well, but all it shows is what is already known, that Severian is
capable of impressive recall much of the time.  In fact, since Severian
clearly takes pride in his memory, he makes specific mention of these feats.
However, it is just as clear from the examples I gave that his memory,
especially for faces, is spotty at times.  (Another interesting one is that
he mis-identifies a clone (!), according to the Autarch in Citadel, of
Thecla in the House Azure as a peasant girl pretending to be Thecla, in
Shadow)
When Severian's memory fails him he doesn't notice it till later, if at all,
so no mention gets made.  Thus, if he didn't realize he met the old man
before, of course he wouldn't have anything special to say about meeting him
again on the Lake of Birds.