(urth) And Another:

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:02:59 PDT 2007

To save time and answer my own question, re-examining the old boatman's tale
does make it clear that it's the "other event" case, that is his tie to
Dorcas.  He's obsessed with finding her corpse and has a theory that they
move around and wash down into the river (Ch12, Shadow).  Thus, overhearing
Severian's underwater experience he ties it to his unrelated quest and asks
for clarification.