(urth) Clute's Interpretation of Severian Becoming the Autarch

E euth82 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:34:35 PDT 2007

Hello,

I was reading one of Clute's reviews
(http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue133/excess.html) and in it he mentions
that Severian is a liar, implying he assumes the role of Autarch in an
underhanded manner through murder.  Does anyone know what Clute's
exact argument is, and what evidence he uses to support it?  Because
if this is true then it really changes what I thought about the
story... I know Severian routinely lies or purposefully omits details,
so that does make him a "liar", but if he is completely lying about
over-taking the Autarchy, that makes him a much greater liar than I
imagined.

I have spent a good amount of time reading through these forums and
Google-searching for Clute's interpretation on this matter, but can't
find anything.  I have looked quite a while.  Also, unfortunately, my
library doesn't have copies of Clute's "Encyclopedia of Science
Fiction" or "Scores" works (although I'm not even sure if they would
be able to answer my question.)

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Best,

  - Adam