(urth) Soldier of Sidon Questions

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Feb 27 16:35:42 PST 2007

  On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:49 AM, James Wynn wrote:

> 1. This is now the 3rd Wolfe novel in a row where the protagonist has
> a vampiric inhuman paramour who poses more or less successfully as a
> beautiful woman. I can think of no thematic requirement (literary,
> mythological, religious, or narrative) that compels Wolfe to
> continuously rework this particular scenario.

The "British Museum Dictionary of Ancient Egypt", which I am perusing to try
and work out what the McGuffin-scroll could be, says (presumably
straight-faced):

"Many of the [Egyptian] goddesses, however, could also present the more
negative, destructive aspects of womanhood, in the form of the EYE OF RA, the
daughter of the sun-god sent to persecute the human race."

I think Wolfe likes looking at traditional devils, starting with Lilith, and
at vampires.  From the Greeks onwards, there are female vampires (more
vicious than the male :)).

I have posted about the trinities that appear in several books, usually two
males and a female.

David Duffy.