(urth) Some Pirate Freedom thoughts and questions

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 23:57:22 PST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007 9:45 PM, Matthew Keeley <matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know I'm reviving an old thread here, but it seemed more sensible than
> starting a new one.

Thank you. I also just finished the book (got it for Christmas).

> Another thought: Why doesn't Chris tell us exactly when his pirate days
> were?

Possibly because it isn't very important. It's pretty clearly the mid
1670s though.

> What becomes of Chris' son?

Or daughter?

> What did Chris do to get confused for a Dutchman or a German?

He's blond?

> Any thoughts on other pirate fiction that might have gone into PF? I'm
> wondering in particular about Captain Blood, which from what I gather has
> some ideas Wolfe might like. Alas, I haven't read the book or seen the
> movie, so I can't elaborate too much. Still, I know that the book is about a
> Catholic forced into piracy and his attempts to remain honest.

I've not seen or read Captain Blood, but one thing worth looking at (if
only as a comparator) is Tim Powers' ON STRANGER TIDES. Tim is the
other great Catholic SFF writer today, and his take on pirates is very
different indeed...

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----

I saw a dirty overcoat at the foot of the pillar of the road/and
propped inside was an old man whom time could not erode