(urth) The Electric Wolfe

James Crossley ishmael at drizzle.com
Thu Dec 20 21:36:40 PST 2007

On 12/20/07 9:15 PM, "thalassocrat at nym.hush.com" <thalassocrat at nym.hush.com>
wrote:

> There are Kindle editions of PF and WK, for what it's worth.
>
> Does anybody here have a Kindle? I kind of want one, but they're
> not for sale outside the US.

I used to work at Amazon, and I still have a friend there who's had one for
a while.  It's better than other electronic readers I've seen, and I can see
real early adopter types wanting one now, but I think it needs some tweaking
before I'd be interested.  It's a nice size and weight, but some of the
buttons aren't quite where they should be to make use fluid.  Page turning
seemed a hair too slow for me to feel perfectly comfortable.  The visual
quality of the text is good enough to prevent eye strain, but not on par
with actual print.  The system for acquiring books is really easy and
effective.

The main problem, though, is the pricing.  Simply speaking, they either need
to lower the cost of the reader or of the books.  I hope book publishers
figure out a viable model for buying, storing and sharing texts
electronically more quickly than the record companies have for music.

James