(urth) free will and piracy

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 06:41:10 PST 2007

--- paul witcover <gdeonn at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   The question is, why does Ignacio cry at this
> point?  ........

>Chris is nothing to Ignacio beyond a
> necessary cog in the mechanism that will take him
> back and allow him to reunite with her.

In the last decade and a half I have noticed an
increasingly sentimental nature in Wolfe's characters,
an absence of the sinister silences we see in 5HOC and
Peace and New Sun or his shorter work that makes us
say, jeez, this guy is creepy.  Chris might be an
ineffectual apologist for the "environment" of the
brutal past forcing his hand, but if he elides facts
it just doesn't seem overtly sinister, despite his
embraced piracy.

The worst thing Silk ever did was right at the end of
the Sun cycle, when he kicked the inhuma to death.
Able was at worst a bully and at best a hero.  Ignacio
is one cold dude if he could contribute to his own
worst moments while still doing things like buying
chickens and letting his younger self steal them.

I need to read it again, I guess.  As always.