(urth) Cumaean???

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sat Dec 15 07:06:36 PST 2007

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 01:16:07 +1100 Pedro Pereira
<domus_artemis at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I dont know either, but it seems to me that that limit would be
>met before geting so close that the atmospheres would touch (as is

>told in the Book of the Short Sun).

Off topic in this thread, but I don't think Blue & Green are
supposed to touch atmospheres in SS. The inhumi supposdly fly
through the void between them, and one Blue-ish astronomer
calculates the closest approach at 35K leagues, or 100K+ miles.

But I don't believe the story: I think it's a lie told by the
inhumi. The only way they travel between Blue and Green is on Auk's
lander. It certainly has enough capacity to account for all the
inhumi on Blue (given the estimates at the end of RTTW, after the
inhumi-slaughter at the wedding).

Physically, flying between the worlds is obviously impossible - eg
the inhumi would need to reach a velocity of at least several
thousand miles before leaving the atmosphere, which ain't going to
happen. I don't buy Wolfe introducing an unotivated fantasy element
here, and the inhumi lie all the time.