(urth) Howard Pyle

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Dec 11 13:28:39 PST 2007

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007, Recursive Loop wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Who did the cover for "Pirate Freedom" (still haven't made it to the bookstore, drat it)?
>
> The reason I ask is because I just picked up a second-hand copy of "Howard Pyle", a "coffee table"
> book published in 1975. The style looks a lot like the thumbnails of PF I've seen, so I'm
> wondering if that cover artist used Pyle as a inspiration.
>
> FPK3

David Grove, the same guy who did _SoS_.  The cover does not look much
like any Howard Pyle I've ever seen.  The internal illustrations will
remind you, unsurprisingly, of the style he used for _SoS_.  They are less
"finished" than those in classic illustrated books for boys, but cover all
the standard scenes from the life of a pirate ;)

I was going to write that David Grove is an OK nautical artist, but a
closer look makes me think that some of the sail plans are a little
idealized viz Chapter 20.

Cheers, David Duffy.