(urth) The Tomb of the Unknown Severian

Todd heliumhead at charter.net
Mon Dec 24 02:30:29 PST 2007

I think that in one sense,  there is only one Severian and this is his
way of describing the paradoxes involved in passing into his own past.

On the other hand,  it is an apt metaphor for the two divergent
histories of Urth which are set up,  where everyone experiences the
alterations made by Sev1,  thus everyone lives alternative existences.

If I may be excused for quoting a popular British Science Fiction
program,  "it is a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey,"  in the sense
that neither the future nor the past are set in stone.

When considering the world of Sev1,  in his journey to the Phoenix
Throne and eventual judgment,  it would have been a world where the
Conciliator never existed and he himself would have possessed no special
abilities.  If we remove both of these from his history  (and other
instances of Sev1 in the past),  that should give us an idea as to his
adventures.  It should be obvious that he would never have rescued
Triskele,  found Dorcas,  or acquired the Claw.  On the other hand,
short of giving up Terminus Est and fleeing,  I do not see how he would
have survived his duel with Agillus...  To make a long story short,
when he was eventually judged favorably,  and acquires access to the
power of the white fountain for the entire term of his life including
retroactively.  He then goes on to wander the corridors of time to be
various important people such as Apu-Punchau,  the Conciliator and,  no
doubt others who have not been named.

Sev2,  whose story we are familiar with,  thus lives in the world
created to some degree by Sev1 including the power to occasionally
access the power of the white fountain.  Though,  clearly the future is
still not written and he can fail when his time comes to be judged.
(This is evident by his meeting men from two disparate futures.)

As to why does Sev2 need to be judged when Sev1 was successful,  perhaps
it is to determine whether the initial judgment was correct,  or as a
fail-safe against Sev1 abusing such power as he was given.

Todd