(urth) STL vs FTL

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Dec 21 21:01:52 PST 2007

Josh Young wrote:
> I might have missed the answer to this in the previous threads, (been
> busy and not following the threads) but I never got the feeling that
> Typhon's era had FTL at all-- I had assumed that FTL travel, from Urth,
> was part of the machine empire that existed in the distant past, and
> that Typhon was definitely post-machine era.

Possible - Typhon's "dry" dialogue indicates he is familiar with some
form of suspended animation that might allow STL travel between multiple
stars by a particular person, but there still needs to be time for the
news of Typhon's need to travel to many worlds and the various doctors
from each of them to travel back with enough time left to perform the
procedure.  Typhon's natural lifetime could have been extended by divers
means, but given his face orientation, it seems unlikely he would have
hibernated while on Urth, waiting for the physicians to arrive.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >