(urth) Typhon & Whorl

Pedro Pereira domus_artemis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 04:40:33 PST 2007

Let me clarify things then. I will again state that the only reason we have a STL generation starship is because Wolfe wanted to write a book about one. I think not even he knows exactely why it is STL, the reason beying simply that he needs it to be so to tell the story he wants to tell.

In the end I think Wolfe leaves to the reader the reason for the Whorl's existance and STL speeds. He lets the reader beying an active participant in explaining that, because for him its an unimportant aspect of the book. Everyone can come up with some explanation for why the whorl was built or why it's STL and I think all of them are correct as long as they do not contradict explicit facts of the books.

Or maybe he simply used some neat ideas from TBotNS to set some of the background (Pas, etc) but without the intention to actually make it a sequel/prequel/whatever, in the sence they may not really mesh well.

I have to recognize that I do have some reluctance about considering them two different "universes" whith common themes though (BotNS vs LS/SS). I would correct my position and instead say that they are the same universe but there are things that are not easily relatable to because Wolfe just writes about what the hell he wants and doesn't worry to much about if it feels right as long as it does not directly contradict anything previously writen. The encounter with Severian in SS seems to be of minor importance (I don't really remember details) and it seems more of a tie-in with previous books resulting from some fancy on the part of Wolfe than any necessary thing for LS/SS. What I feel when I read the so called Solar Cycle is that TBotNS/UotNS is one thing meant to be read together and LS/SS is another thing meant to be read together, but the two cycles are basically independent and can perfectly be read separately.

And again the reason is simply that Wolfe wants to write about a STL generation starship and its tripulation tribulations in colonizing a new system...