(urth) Typhon & Whorl

Michael Straight mfstraight at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 12:38:56 PST 2007

> Typhon was close enough to us in time for Latin & French to be
> known languages; for people to have names like "Warren"; for
> familiar ethnic groups to still exist;

I'd guess that LS & SS are translated from some future
as-yet-unexisting language, and that "Latin" and "French" are
analogues chosen by the translator, much the same way that we're told
"Terminus Est" is not the actual name of Severian's sword.

(Now how Wolfe got a hold of Horn's book(s)...)

> for our religious writings to still be available.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolfe believes that those writings will
never completely disappear from human civilization.  If we didn't see
more of them in the New Sun books, it's not because they weren't still
around anywhere.

Rostrum